Frequently Asked Questions

To contact us, email or use drop-in advising. This is the best way to reach us - please avoid emailing individual advisors.

Please visit our degree requirements page for details.

Students with transfer work from another college or university should be aware that some transfer courses may not satisfy the psychology major requirements. Specifically, transfer courses in Research Methods Lab (PSY 0037), and Cognitive Psychology Lab course (PSY 0423) may not have included the requisite writing and laboratory components. Students with transfer work they would like to have evaluated should send the full syllabus of the course/s in question to for review. 

Please see the registration information on our Advising Services page.

If you are a declared psychology major you will need to meet with a psychology advisor for a pre-registration appointment. It is best to do this early in the semester in order to be prepared for your enrollment appointment. Advisors are available throughout the year to discuss course planning, internships, directed research opportunities, the honors program, career options, and graduate training. 

The undergraduate advising office is located at 3113 Sennott Square. The Advising Office will be open Monday – Thursday 10:00AM – 3:00 PM during the fall and spring terms. Appointments are highly recommended. 

If you are a declared psychology major, you may schedule an appointment with any of the psychology advisors via Navigate Student. You can find more details on our webpage. 

If you are not yet a declared psychology major, please stop by our drop-in time to talk directly with a psychology advisor. 

Virtual drop-in is available Monday – Thursday 11:00AM – 1:00 PM during the fall and spring terms. Meetings are typically no longer than 5 minutes; this is to ensure quick service to all students with drop-in type needs. If your questions require additional time and attention the drop-in advisor will be happy to help you schedule an appointment.

Yes, in fact we encourage it. For more information, please see the Global Experiences Office.

Psychology majors are required to take ALL courses used to fulfill the PSY and STAT requirements for a letter grade; the S/NC grade option may not be used for PSY major courses (with the exception of PSY 1900, 1903, and 1907 and the co-requisites which are may be graded on an S/NC basis). 

Below are the steps for resolving a undergraduate grade dispute that is not a dispute about academic integrity.

  • Students who disagree with an instructor over a grade should speak to the instructor.
  • If the discussion between the student and the instructor does not resolve the issue, the student should next meet with the Department Chair.
  • If the grade issue still remains unresolved, the student should meet with the Assistant Dean in the Office of Undergraduate Studies who is responsible for grade disputes.
  • The Assistant Dean will investigate the concerns with the student, the instructor, and the Department Chair, and make a decision regarding the grade dispute. This decision is final.

If a grade dispute involves a possible Academic Integrity Violation, please see the Academic Integrity Code

If a psychology course is closed you will need to add yourself to the waitlist and let that process run. We cannot override the waitlist. If you do not have a prerequisite, please visit for more information.

You can find your PSY GPA listed on your Academic Advising Report via your Student Center. The Registrar has some helpful information about creating this document on their website.