81 S. 19th Street Pittsburgh, PA 15203
Contact: Megan Schroeder (412) 431-5665 firstname.lastname@example.org
Areas of Interest: Clinical and Counseling Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Social Work
PAAR’s mission is to respond, educate, and advocate to end sexual violence. PAAR responds to survivors of sexual violence through crisis intervention, counseling and advocacy; advocates with the systems that respond to sexual violence; and educates to prevent sexual violence.
This 6 credit internship position requires a two-term commitment: First term interns complete a 40 hour training program and receive certification as a Sexual Assault Counselor. Following certification, interns will serve as advocates and are responsible for the accompaniment of victims, families, and significant others through police, medical and legal proceedings. They will provide short-term crisis counseling and assistance, intake services, information and support services, and maintain the required agency documentation and reports.
Women or men at least 18 years old with good listening skills, a non-judgmental attitude, an interest in women’s issues, and the ability to commit for 2 semesters. Knowledge about sexual assault issues and the ability to work with diverse populations is also suggested. Students who are joint Psychology and ADMJ majors are ideal candidates, but this is not required.
Duties of Students:
- 40-hour online Sexual Assault Counselor Training, resulting in state certification; and completion of 2 face-to-face Saturday training sessions, 9:00am to 3:00pm
Additional Site Requirements:
- Email a letter of interest and resume to contact person. Include that you are a Psychology major at the University of Pittsburgh interested in an internship.
- Completion of Abnormal Psychology (PSY 1205) is suggested
- Business Casual attire
- Must have access to a car and phone
- Must be in junior or senior year of bachelor degree program or master’s level coursework
- Preferred at least 6 hours availability per day at the site, but not required
- Must provide coverage on the hotline (2 shifts per month) and as a medical advocate (1 shift per month) during non-office hours
- Act 33 Clearance: PA Child Abuse Form
- Act 34 Clearance: PA Criminal Record Check
Fall, spring, and summer (applications accepted February preceding the fall semester)
Number of Students:
Varies, approximately 1-2 per semester