Federal and State Background Checks and Clearances
According to the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE), anyone working with or observing children must apply for and pass each of the following clearances before participating in their program:
- Federal Criminal History Record
- Pennsylvania State Criminal Record Check
- Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance
It is possible that the start of your participation in these experiences could be delayed if these are not completed in a timely manner. These can take up to several weeks to be finalized so it is suggested that if you believe you will need these clearances that you begin the application process as soon as possibl
Fee: $22.60 - Applicant must register online or by phone, and then visit a fingerprinting facility
- Applicants must get fingerprinted for an FBI background check.
- Applicants should register online with Identogo Systems prior to going to the fingerprinting center. Payment is made online at the time of registration by credit or debit card. No cash or personal checks are accepted. Please record your UE ID registration number - it is a series of letters and numbers - you will need to provide this number to any school district, institution, or agency needing the results of your federal background check.
- The applicant then reports to one of the federallty approved fingerprint centers which can be found on their website.
- The fingerprints are scanned; the entire fingerprint capture process takes approximately 10 minutes.
- The prints are then electronically transmitted to the PA State Police, who then submits the fingerprints and demographic information to the FBI as required by federal statute.
- Pennsylvania Department of Education will receive the Federal Criminal History Report from the FBI. You will receive an unofficial copy by mail.
If you have a question or an issue with your federal clearance, call 717.783.3750 or email the Pennsylvania Department of Education at email@example.com.
Further details regarding fingerprinting can be found on the Identogo web site or the Pennsylvania Department of Education web site.
If the information revealed in the background check reveals the applicant is disqualified, the applicant will not be eligible to participate in the experience.
Fee: $22.00 - Applicant can apply online, or via postal mail (form available below)
ONLINE APPLICATION FOR PENNSYLVANIA RESIDENTS:
- This clearance may be obtained on-line if the applicant has a credit or debit card at https://epatch.state.pa.us
- The on-line response is virtually instantaneous the applicant prints the report from their computer. The mailed request can take up to 4 to 5 weeks for processing and will be mailed directly to the applicant.
APPLICATION FOR OUT OF STATE RESIDENTS or PA RESIDENTS WHO CHOOSE TO APPLY BY MAIL:
- First obtain your Federal/FBI clearance (see above).
- Download, fill-out, sign, and mail in the Request for Criminal Record Check form along with your non-refundable fee.
Fee: $10.00 - Applicant must apply via postal mail (form available below)
- Create an account and Apply online
- When filling out the form, use your current address, and the check the "School" option under "Purpose of Clearance".
- Your results may be available immediately. If not, you can log in at a later time to view the status of your results. The process can take up to 4 to 5 weeks for processing, and you will be mailed a copy of your results. You may call the Office of Children Youth and Families at 717.783.6211 or 717.783.6211 if problems arise.
APPLY BY MAIL:
Download, fill-out, sign, and mail in the Child Abuse Clearance form along with your non-refundable fee. Be sure to use your current home address on the form, and complete all fields to the best of your knowledge.