Bovbjerg, Dana H.
Visiting Professor, Department of Psychiatry (Secondary appointment in Department of Psychology); Director, Biobehavioral Medicine in Oncology Program, UPCI
PhD, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
Primary Program: Biological and Health Program
All programs: Biological and Health Program
Hillman Cancer Center, Cooper Pavilion -- Suite 140
Research Interests: Interdisciplinary studies of: biobehavioral factors in cancer; the emotional, cognitive, behavioral, and biological consequences of breast cancer risk; the contribution of biobehavioral factors to side effects of medical treatments (surgery, chemotherapy, radiotherapy) and interventions that may ameliorate those effects; interactions between psychological and genetic factors in persistent smoking behavior; and, psychological influences on cancer screening decisions.
Accepting Graduate Students: Yes
- Erblich J, Bovbjerg DH, Sloan RP. Exposure to smoking cues: cardiovascular and autonomic effects. Addict Behav. 2011;36(7):737-42. PMID:21419576. PMCID:PMC3095102.
- Montgomery GH, Schnur JB, Erblich J, Diefenbach MA, Bovbjerg DH. Presurgery psychological factors predict pain, nausea and fatigue one week after breast cancer surgery. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2010;39(6):1043-52. PMID:20538186. PMCID: PMC2918882.
- Wright CE, Bovbjerg DH, Montgomery GH, Weltz C, Goldfarb A, Pace B, Silverstein JH. Disrupted sleep the night before breast surgery is associated with increased postoperative pain. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2009;37(3):352-62. PMID:18723313.
- James GD, Gastrich HJ, Valdimarsdottir HB, Bovbjerg DH. The rate of urinary cortisol excretion at work is persistently elevated in women at familial risk for breast cancer. Am J Human Biology. 2008;20(4):478-480. PMID:18257060.
- Montgomery GH, Bovbjerg DH, Schnur JB, David D, Goldfarb A, Weltz CR, Schechter C, Graff-Zivin J, Tatrow K, Price DD, Silverstein JH. A randomized clinical trial of a brief hypnosis intervention to control side effects in breast surgery patients. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2007;99(17):1304-12. PMID:17728216.
- Schnur JB, DiLorenzo TA, Montgomery GH, Erblich J, Winkel G, Hall SJ, Bovbjerg DH. Perceived risk and worry about prostate cancer: a proposed conceptual model. Behav Med. 2006;32(3):89-96. PMID:17120384.
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, Society of Behavioral Medicine (2006)
- Outstanding Achievement Award, American Cancer Society (2004)
- Research Scholar Award, American Cancer Society (2003)
- Visiting Scholar Award, American Psychosomatic Society (2000)
- Member, Academy of Behavioral Medicine Research (1994)
- Junior Faculty Research Award, American Cancer Society (1990)