Distinguished Service Professor of Psychiatry,School of Medicine; Secondary appointment in Department of Psychology; Director, University Center for Social and Urban Research
PhD, Duke University
Research Interests: Dr. Schulz is a social psychologist who has spent most of his career doing research and writing on adult development and aging. His work has focused on the application of social psychological theories and perspectives to adult development and aging, including the impact of disabling late life disease on patients and their families.
Accepting Graduate Students: No
- Schulz, R. (Editor, 2012). Quality of Life Technology Handbook. New York: Taylor and Francis.
- Schulz, R., Beach, S.R., Cook, T.B., Martire, L.M., Tomlinson, J.M., & Monin, J.K. (2012). Predictors and consequences of perceived lack of choice in becoming an informal caregiver. Journal of Aging and Mental Health, 16(6), 712-721. PMID: 22360296. PMCID: PMC3371285.
- Schulz, R., Beach, S.R., Matthews, J.T., Courtney, K.L., & De Vito Dabbs, A.J. (2012). Designing and evaluating quality of life technologies: An interdisciplinary approach. Proceedings of the IEEE, 100(8), 2397-2409.
- Heckhausen, J., Wrosch, C., & Schulz, R. (2010). A motivational theory of lifespan development. Psychological Review, 117(1), 32-60. PMID: 20063963. PMCID: PMC2820305
- Martire, L.M., Schulz, R., Helgeson, V.S., Small, B.J., & Saghafi, E. (2010). Review and meta-analysis of couple-oriented interventions for chronic illness. Annals of Behavioral Medicine, 40, 325-342. PMID: 20697859.
- Schulz, R., Monin, J.K., Czaja, S.J., Lingler, J., Beach, S.R., Martire, L.M., Dodds, A., Hebert, R., Zdaniuk, B., & Cook, T.B. (2010). Measuring the experience and perception of suffering. The Gerontologist, 50(6), 774-784. PMID: 20478899. PMCID: PMC3003549.
- Schulz, R., Czaja, S.J., Lustig, A., Zdaniuk, B., Martire, L.M., & Perdomo, D. (2009). Improving the quality of life of caregivers of persons with spinal cord injury: A randomized controlled trial. Rehabilitation Psychology, 54(1), 1-15.
- Schulz, R., Beach S.R., Hebert, R., Martire, L.M., Monin, J.K, Tompkins, C.A., & Albert, S.M. (2009). Spousal suffering and partner's depression and cardiovascular disease: The Cardiovascular Health Study. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 17(3), 246-254.
- Schulz, R. (Editor in Chief). (2006). Encyclopedia of Aging, 4th Edition. NY: Springer Publishing.
Honors and Awards
- M. Powell Lawton Award (American Psychological Association) for career contributions to applied aging research, 2013
- Harold Yuker Award (American Psychological Association) for best paper in Rehabilitation Psychology, 2010.
- Developmental Health Award for Research on Health in Later Life, American Psychological Association, 2003
- Kleemeier Award for Research on Aging, Gerontological Society of America, 1999