Roecklein, Kathryn A.
Assistant Professor, Department of Psychology
PhD, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
Biological and Health Program, Clinical Program
4307 Sennott Square
Research Interests: Mood disorders, circadian biology, behavioral genetics, and Seasonal Affective Disorder. The focus of the lab in the future will be behavior genetics. I am currently investigating sequence variations in the gene for the photopigment melanopsin as a possible explanation for the relationship between season, environmental light levels, and depression.
Accepting Graduate Students: No
- Roecklein, K.A., Wong, P.M., Miller, M.A., Franzen, P.L., Ferrell, B.A., Manuck, S.B. (2012, in press). Melanopsin gene variations interact with season to predict sleep timing and chronotype. Chronobiology International.
- Roecklein, K. A., Schumacher, J. A., Miller, M. A., & Ernecoff, N. C. (2012). Cognitive and behavioral predictors of light therapy use in seasonal affective disorder. PLoS One. 7(6), e39275. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0039275
- Erickson KI, Miller DL, Roecklein KA. (2012). The aging hippocampus: interactions between exercise, depression, and BDNF. Neuroscientist, 18: 82-97.
- Lindsey, K. T., Rohan, K. J., Roecklein, K. A., & Mahon, J. N. (2011). Surface facial electromyography, skin conductance, and self-reported emotional responses to light- and season-relevant stimuli in seasonal affective disorder. Journal of Affective Disorders. doi: 10.1016/j.jad.2011.04.016
- Rohan, K.J., Nillni, Y.I., Mahon, J.N., Roecklein, K.A., Sitnikov, L., Haaga, D.A. (2011). Cognitive vulnerability in moderate, mild, and low seasonality. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disorders. 99(12), 961-970. doi: 10.1097/NMD.0b013e3182392948
- Roecklein, K. A., Rohan, K. J., & Postolache, T. T. (2010). SAD: Is seasonal affective disorder a bipolar variant? Current Psychiatry 9(2), 42-54.
- Roecklein, K.A., Schumacher, J. A., Gabriele, J. M., Fagan, C., Baran, A. S., Richert, A. C. (2010). Personalized feedback to improve CPAP adherence in obstructive sleep apnea. Behavioral Sleep Medicine, 8(2), 105-112.
- Rohan, K. J., Roecklein, K. A., & Haaga, D. A. F. (2009). Biological and psychological mechanisms of seasonal affective disorder: A review and integration. Current Psychiatry Reviews, 5(1), 37-47.
Graduate Student Advisees
- Donofry, Shannon
- Miller, Megan