Professor, Department of Psychology
PhD, Rutgers-The State University
Biological and Health Program, Clinical Program, Social Program, Clinical/Health Program
4303 Sennott Square
Research Interests: Psychological theories of alcohol use and abuse, cigarette smoking, drug craving, cognitive, affective, and social processes in addiction, alcohol and stress.
Accepting Graduate Students: Yes
- Sayette, M.A. & Tiffany, S.T. (in press). Peak-provoked craving: An alternative to smoking cue reactivity. Addiction.
- Creswell, K.G., Sayette, M.A., Manuck, S.B., Ferrell, R.E., Hill, S.Y.& Dimoff, J.D. (2012). DRD4 Polymorphism Moderates the Effect of Alcohol Consumption on Social Bonding. PLoS ONE, 7(2) e29814, 1-9.
- Sayette, M.A., Creswell, K.G., Dimoff, J.D., Fairbairn, C.E., Cohn, J.F., Heckman, B.W, Kirchner, T.R., Levine, J.M, & Moreland, R.L. (in press). Alcohol and group formation: A multimodal investigation of the effects of alcohol on emotion and social bonding. Psychological Science.
- Wilson, S. J., Sayette, M.A., & Fiez, J.A. (2012). Quitting-unmotivated and quitting-motivated cigarette smokers exhibit different patterns of cue-elicited brain activation when anticipating an opportunity to smoke. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 121, 198-211. DOI: 10.1037/a0025112.
- Sayette, M.A., Schooler, J.W., & Reichle, E.D. (2010). Out for a smoke: The impact of cigarette craving on zoning-out during reading. Psychological Science, 21, 26-30. doi: 10.1177/0956797609354059
- Sayette, M.A., Reichle, E.D., & Schooler, J.W. (2009). Lost in the sauce: The effects of alcohol on mind-wandering. Psychological Science, 20, 747-752.
- Sayette, M.A., Loewenstein, G., Griffin, K.M., & Black, J. (2008). Exploring the Cold-to-Hot Empathy Gap in Smokers. Psychological Science, 19, 926-932. (Abstract-html)
- Wilson, S.J., Sayette, M.A. & Fiez, J.A. (2004). Prefrontal responses to drug cues: A Neurocognitive analysis. Nature Neuroscience, 7, 211-214.
- Sayette, M.A., Martin, C.S., Hull, J.G., Wertz, J.M, & Perrott, M.A. (2003). The effects of nicotine deprivation on craving response covariation in smokers. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 112, 110-118.
- Sayette, M.A., Shiffman, S., Tiffany, S.T., Niaura, R.S., Martin, C.S., & Shadel, W.G. (2000). The measurement of drug craving. Addiction, 95, S189-S210.
Honors and Awards
- Fellow: American Psychological Association
- Fellow: Association for Psychological Science
- Distinguished Lecturer, German-American Academic Council (1999)
Graduate Student Advisees
- Dimoff, John
- Fairbairn, Catharine