Distinguished Professor of Psychiatry, Professor of Epidemiology and Psychology
PhD, University of Texas, Austin
Biological and Health Program, Clinical Program, Clinical/Health Program
Research Interests: Behavioral risk factors for cardiovascular disease at developmental transitions in the life span, how behavioral risk factors relate to subclinical cardiovascular disease among adolescents and middle-aged adults, menopause and women's health
Accepting Graduate Students: Yes
- Matthews, K.A. (2005). Psychological perspectives on the development of coronary heart disease. American Psychologist, 60, 783-796.
- Goldbacher, E.M., Matthews, K.A., & Salomon, K. (2005). Central adiposity is associated with cardiovascular reactivity to stress in adolescents. Health Psychology, 24, 375-384.
- Matthews, K.A., Salomon, K., Kenyon, K., & Zhou, F. (2005). Unfair treatment, discrimination, and ambulatory blood pressure in black and white adolescents. Health Psychology, 24, 258-265.
- Matthews, K.A., Owens, J.F., Salomon, K., Harris, K.F., & Berga, S.L. (2005). Influence of hormone therapy on the cardiovascular responses to stress of postmenopausal women. Biological Psychology, 69, 39-56.
- Raikkonen, K., Matthews, K.A., Sutton-Tyrrell, K., & Kuller, L.H. (2004). Trait anger and the metabolic syndrome predict progression of carotid atherosclerosis in healthy middle-aged women. Psychosomatic Medicine, 66, 903-908.
Honors and Awards
- American Psychological Association Distinguished Scientist Award (2005)
- American Psychosomatic Society President's Award (2005)
- Member, Institute of Medicine (2002)
- Distinguished Alumni Award, Department of Psychology, University of Texas at Austin (2001)
- Distinguished Scientist Award, Society of Behavioral Medicine (1999)
- Award for Significant Research Contribution, Society of Pediatric Psychology (1994)
- Award for Distinguished Contributions to Health Psychology, Division 38, American Psychological Association (1992)
- MERIT Award (Method to Extend Research in Time), NIH, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (1990)
Graduate Student Advisees
- Dhaliwal, Sanam
- Gibson, Carolyn
- Jakubowski, Karen
- Midei, Aimee