Distinguished University Professor of Health Psychology and Behavioral Medicine
PhD, Vanderbilt University
Biological and Health Program, Clinical Program, Cognitive Program, Clinical/Health Program
Research Interests: Psychosocial antecedents of cardiovascular disease; genetics of behavior and gene-environment interaction; neurobiology of personality and temperament
Accepting Graduate Students: No
- Manuck, S.B., Phillips, J.E., Gianaros, P.J., Flory, J.D., & Muldoon, M.F. (in press). Subjective socioeconomic status and presence of the metabolic syndrome in midlife community volunteers. Psychosomatic Medicine.
- Halder, I., Marsland, A.L., Cheong, J., Muldoon, M.F., Ferrell, R.E., & Manuck, S.B. (in press). Polymorphisms in the CRP gene moderate an association between depressive symptoms and circulating levels of C-reactive protein. Brain, Behavior and Immunity 2009 Sept 29 [Epub ahead of print]
- Manuck, S.B., Marsland, A.L., Flory, J.D., Gorka, A., Ferrell, R.E., & Hariri, A.R. (in press). Salivary testosterone and a trinucleotide (CAG) length polymorphism in the androgen receptor gene predict amygdala reactivity in men. Psychoneuroendocrinology 2009 Jun 1 [Epub ahead of print]
- Gianaros, P.J., Hariri, A.R., Sheu, L.K., Muldoon, M.F., Sutton-Tyrrell, K., & Manuck, S.B. (2009). Preclinical atherosclerosis covaries with individual differences in reactivity and functional connectivity of the amygdala. Biological Psychiatry, 65, 943-950.
- Kaplan, J.R., & Manuck, S.B. (2008). Ovarian dysfunction and the premenopausal origins of coronary heart disease. Menopause, 15, 768-776.
- Manuck, S.B., Brown, S.M., Forbes, E.E., & Hariri, A.R. (2007). Temporal stability of individual differences in amygdala reactivity. American Journal of Psychiatry, 164, 1613-1614.
- Hariri, A.R., Brown, S.M., Williamson, D.E., Flory, J.D., de Wit, H., & Manuck, S.B. (2006). Preference for immediate over delayed rewards is associated with magnitude of ventral striatal activity. Journal of Neuroscience, 26, 13213-13217.
- Manuck, S.B., Kaplan, J.R., & Lotrich, F.E. (2006). Brain serotonin and aggressive disposition in humans and nonhuman primates. In R.J. Nelson (Ed.), Biology of aggression (pp. 65-113). New York, Oxford University Press.
- Manuck, S.B., Bleil, M.E., Petersen, K.L., Flory, J.D., Mann, J.J., Ferrell, R.E., & Muldoon, M.F. (2005). The socio-economic status of communities predicts variation in brain serotonergic responsivity. Psychological Medicine, 35, 519-528.
Honors and Awards
- Appointed University Professor (2006)
- American Psychological Association, Outstanding Contributions to Health Psychology Award (1999)
Graduate Student Advisees
- Miller, Karissa
- Wong, Patricia