Associate Professor, Department of Psychology
PhD, University of Pittsburgh
Primary Program: Biological and Health Program
All programs: Biological and Health Program, Clinical Program, Clinical/Health Program
4119 Sennott Square
Research Interests: Nicotine reinforcement; regulation of tobacco products and implications for health; animal and human laboratory models of drug addiction; the relationship between pharmacological and non-pharmacological determinants of drug use
Accepting Graduate Students: Yes
- Hatsukami, D.K., Benowitz, N., Donny, E.C., Henningfield, J., Zeller, M. (in press). Nicotine Reduction: Strategic Research Plan. Nicotine and Tobacco Research.
- Donny, E.C., Taylor, T.G., LeSage, M.G., Levin, M., Buffalari, D.M., Joel, D., Sved, A.F. (in press). The impact of tobacco regulation on animal research: new perspectives and opportunities. Nicotine and Tobacco Research.
- Donny, E.C., Jones, M. (2009). Prolonged exposure to denicotinized cigarettes with or without transdermal nicotine. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 104: 23-33.
- Donny, E.C., Houtsmuller, E., Stitzer, M.L. (2007). Smoking in the absence of nicotine: behavioral, subjective and physiological effects over eleven days. Addiction 102(2):324-34.
- Donny E.C., Chaudhri N., Caggiula A.R., Evans-Martin F.F., Booth S., Gharib M.A., Clements L.A., Sved A.F. (2003). Operant responding for a visual reinforcer in rats is enhanced by noncontingent nicotine: implications for nicotine self-administration and reinforcement. Psychopharmacology, 169: 68-76
Honors and Awards
- National Academy of Sciences, Kavli Frontiers of Science Fellow
- Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco New Investigator Award (2003)
- Robert Wood Johnson Faculty Scholar (2002-present)
- College on Problems of Drug Dependence Early Career Investigator Award (2002)
- Andrew Mellon Predoctoral Fellowship (1997)
- Weisberg-Colavita Award for Excellence in Biopsychology (1996)
Graduate Student Advisees
- Dermody, Sarah
- Joel, Danielle
- Taylor, Tracy